CUNY Tech Prep was established in 2015 to serve computer science and computing students from the 11 four-year CUNY Colleges that are preparing to enter the workforce. Students accepted into CTP each academic year participate in a program designed to prepare them for the challenges of the job search and technical work in the industry.
The curriculum is designed around three pillars:
- In both tracks, students work in teams to design, develop, and deploy projects where they learn and apply tools, concepts, and processes — Git, TDD and automated testing, CI/CD, agile, web security, etc. — desired by high-tech employers.
Project Experience with Industry Mentorship
- Students work in teams on projects they propose, design, and implement. Each team is assigned a mentor that supervises the work, introduces the software development life cycle and best practices, and performs code reviews.
- CTP instructors, TA's, and mentors all have extensive current and past industry experience as software engineers and data scientists.
It takes more than technical skills to land a job in tech! That's why CUNY Tech Prep takes a holistic approach to professional development. Our fellows have access to:
- 1:1 Career Coaching, including behavioral interview practice
In-class workshops led by our career coaches on topics such as networking, project pitching, job search strategy, resumes, and communication skills
- Mock technical interviews conducted by industry professionals
- Workshops led by industry professionals
- Assistance with crafting technical resumes
CTP is supported by CISDD (CUNY Institute for Software Design and Development) and NYC TTP (New York City Tech Talent Pipeline).